WHAT IS A KETOGENIC DIET?
A ketogenic diet is a low-carbohydrate diet that stimulates the body to produce ketones in the liver, fat metabolism by-products that are used as an energy source in place of glucose.
It is known by many different names:
- the ketogenic diet;
- the low-carbohydrate diet;
- the low-carbohydrate and high-fat diet;
When you eat something high in carbohydrates, your body produces glucose and insulin:
- Glucose is the molecule that our body can most easily convert into energy;
- Insulin is produced to process glucose in the blood to enable it to be transported throughout the body.
Because glucose is used as a primary energy source, fats are not necessary and are therefore stored.
Typically, in a normal high-carbohydrate diet, the body will burn glucose as the main form of energy.
By lowering the intake of carbs, the body is induced into a state known as ketosis, a natural process the body initiates to help us survive when carbohydrate intake is low. It starts to produce ketones by breaking down fats in the liver.
The ultimate goal of a properly maintained ketogenic diet is to use these ketones as a primary energy source in place of glucose.
Optimal ketone levels have a lot of benefits in terms of weight loss and physical and mental performance.
What are the benefits that a ketogenic diet can bring to your life?
Here is a short list of the advantages of this type of energy supply:
- Weight loss: there are clear weight loss benefits that result from using body fat as a source of energy. Levels of insulin, the hormone that stores fat, decrease dramatically, turning your body into a fat-burning machine;
- Blood sugar control: blood sugar levels are naturally lower;
- Improved mental performance: ketones are a great source of brain fuel. When carbohydrate intake is reduced, large spikes in blood sugar levels are avoided and this can improve concentration;
- Increased energy and a feeling of fullness: by providing your body with a better source of energy, you will feel more energetic during the day. Also, burning fat instead of glucose is more satisfying and will make you feel full longer;
- Improvement in cholesterol and blood pressure levels: a ketogenic diet improves levels of triglycerides and cholesterol. Blood pressure is also improved compared to other diets, as some blood pressure problems are associated with being over-weight;
- Improvement in the appearance of skin: a low-carbohydrate diet improves the appearance of skin, reducing inflammation and acne.
How to follow a ketogenic diet
Following a ketogenic diet is not difficult although it may seem complicated at first.
- Here are the most important basic tips:
- Limit your intake of carbohydrates;
- Limit your intake of protein;
- Don't worry about eating fatty foods, as they are the primary source of energy in a ketogenic diet;
- Drink water, at least one litre a day, as this helps regulate many vital body functions and control hunger pangs;
- Exercise to get the most out of your ketogenic diet: for at least 20-30 minutes a day. Even just a short walk can help regulate weight loss and blood sugar levels;
- Take supplements to help you;
- Keep track of what you eat.
Ketogenic diets: why choose Tisanoreica?
The Tisanoreica diet has been developed based on studies, research and techniques such as Decottopia, a proprietary, traditional way of preparing medicinal herbs, to create one of the best combination diets available.
It is a phyto-ketogenic "Mediterranean style" diet which makes use of low-carbohydrate ingredients formulated to contain all the herbal extracts your body needs.
Tisanoreica herbal extracts incorporated into the diet reduce some of the minor side-effects of a classic ketogenic diet.
The duration of the protocol varies from a minimum of 20 days (the Basic Protocol) to a maximum of 42 days (the Impact Protocol).
The phases of a Tisanoreica phyto-ketogenic diet
The Tisanoreica phyto-ketogenic diet is divided into four phases:
- Purification Phase (Pre-Tisanoreica): this is the first step, during which hepatic and lymphatic purification takes place to facilitate the production of ketosis during the Intensive Phase;
- Intensive Phase: consists of the total elimination of sugars and alcohol. In this phase the body enters the state of ketosis and the pancreas is given a break;
- Stabilisation Phase: re-introduces low-glycaemic carbohydrates such as pasta, rice and unrefined grains, which were eliminated in the previous phase;
- Lifestyle: this is the phase in which you need to pay attention to the quantity and quality of the calories you are eating and is a very important phase in maintaining the weight loss that has been achieved. The lifestyle must include, along with the Tisanoreica supplements, the daily consumption of high-quality, fresh and seasonal foods.
The benefits of the phyto-ketogenic diet are many and you will see a definite improvement in your mood thanks to the rapid weight loss, the reduction in the feeling of constant hunger, the improvement in muscle mass and by following a therapeutic diet tailored just for you.